Mexican Bean and Rice Wraps (vgn) (gf)
- Serves: 1
- Prep time: 15 – 20 minutes
Third recipe of the week, and it’s one of my all time favourite meals. So much so, that I have it for lunch almost every day.
I love everything about these Mexican wraps. The spicy beans. The rice. The bread. The salad. The hummus. The guacamole. The combination of it all together…
Tastes amazing, and is so simple to throw together. It’s probably worth cooking the brown rice beforehand, and storing it in the fridge. You can then just heat it up whenever you’re ready.
Hope you enjoy!
- Brown rice (cooked beforehand)
- 1 gluten free tortilla wrap (could go home-made if you like)
- 1 tin beans (or about half a cup of dry uncooked beans, which you’ll need to pre cook). My favourite are borlotti or pinto
- 1 tbsp tomato puree/paste
- 1 tbsp each of smoked paprika and ground coriander
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 tsp low salt tamari sauce
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- Sprinkle of fresh coriander
- Spinach, romaine and rocket leaves
- Sweetcorn, cucumber and red onion
- About a half to one third of an avocado, with a squirt of lemon
- Hummus (again, could go home-made)
- If you haven’t cooked the rice before hand, you’ll need to put that on to boil first. It usually takes about half an hour.
- In a separate frying pan, add your beans of choice, with enough water to cover them. Add in the tomato puree, paprika, ground coriander, chilli powder, tamari and maple syrup.
- The beans and sauce should take about 10 minutes to cook through and thicken up. Stir occasionally so they don’t stick to the pan.
- In the meantime, prepare the salad and sides. I mash the avocado down and add a little bit of lemon juice to make a quick guacamole. Goes great with hummus.
- When the beans are looking done, add a sprinkle of fresh coriander. I also toast my bread lightly for a few minutes, before serving everything up.
Enjoy your food, and tell all your friends about it!
Thanks for reading!
If you’d like to support my work, the best way you can do so is by subscribing and sharing with others. If you want to take things a step further, if it feels right for to you, you can donate any amount of money via the paypal link below.