What I Eat on a Whole Food, Plant Based Diet
I’m on holiday in Turkey right now, and it’s been pretty sweet so far. I’ve been having a great time clambering over the ruins, chilling in the sun, and trying all the different vegan Turkish food with Michaela.
That food is actually calling my name right now, so instead of sitting here and writing a whole new blog post, this week I’m gonna give you an extract from my eBook: Plant Based Diet 101: The Handbook of FAQ on Whole-Food, Plant Based Nutrition.
The extract is from chapter 3 of the book: What do you eat on a plant based diet? I hope you find it useful in some shape or form!
WHAT DO YOU EAT ON A PLANT BASED DIET?
The food pyramid and plate below might be a good place to start. If you like, you could print them out and stick them on the fridge as a reminder. Go crazy.
So we’re aiming to get as close as we can to a diet that’s made up of whole, nutrient dense, plant foods, such as:
There’s no limit on the amount of veg you can eat, especially leafy greens. Rich in fibre, minerals, essential fatty acids and protein. Kale, spinach, spring greens, cress, rocket, and romaine are great. So are mushrooms, peppers, onions, garlic, celery, cucumber, and sweet potatoes.
The most vitamin dense foods available, full of antioxidants, and great for your digestive system. Again, feel free to eat unlimited amounts. There are so many different varieties. Bananas, dates, apples, pears, mangos, oranges, berries, and melon are all brilliant.
Beans and pulses are heart healthy, protein rich, and versatile. Red kidney, borlotti, pinto, aduki, chickpeas, and soy beans are all great; as well as all types of lentils. They go great in main meals like curries and stir fry, or even alone as quick snacks. I eat them almost every day, about three hand sized portions.
Pseudo grains like quinoa, amaranth, wild rice and buckwheat are a good source of protein and phytonutrients. Whole-grains such as brown rice, whole-grain bread and oats are great too. One to two hand-sized portions are typically enough on average, depending on your build and activity levels.
Nuts, Seeds + Fatty fruits.
Very important, in small doses. A light sprinkle of nuts and seeds, and half an avocado is usually enough for the day, on average. Flax, sunflower, pumpkin, poppy, and chia seeds are good sources of essential fatty acids and micronutrients; along with fatty fruits like avocadoes; and cashews, almonds, brazils, and walnuts.
Water should make up the majority of our fluid intake. Occasionally nut and seed milks can be fine too, along with herbal teas. Limit intake of alcohol and coffee, and avoid fizzy drinks.
Like with most things, with your diet you get out what you put in, and I think getting 90% of our calories from the whole plant foods mentioned above above leads to the biggest health benefits. The remaining 10% could then come from processed foods, and animal products if you’re not vegan like me.
That may sound scary right now, but don’t feel like you have to get to that stage of 90% whole foods right now, straight away. For me, the transition to this way of eating was gradual, and I think the same goes for most other people too. So don’t be afraid to take it slow, and do what feels right for you. Everyone is at a different stage on their journey, you’ve just gotta do whatever you need to make your habit changes sustainable and lasting.
Anyways, that’s all for this week. Time for me to eat. Hopefully sometime next week I’ll have a new blog post and video up about the awesome plant based food over here in Turkey.
If you found this post useful, or can think of someone who will, why not check out the eBook. It’s got a lot more content about how to make the transition towards a plant based diet, how to go about finding recipes, and how to avoid the common pitfalls. It’s only $5…
Thanks for reading!
If you’d like to support my work, the best way you can do so is by subscribing and sharing with others. If you want to take things a step further, if it feels right for to you, you can donate any amount of money via the paypal link below. Thanks!