003 | On Willpower: Taking the First Step (And Habit Change Pathways)
“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can, and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.”
It’s a phrase that often gets brought up whenever the topic of habit forming or goal setting is on the agenda.
When we fail to make the changes that we intended to make or we start to waver with a new habit, we often put it down to a lack of willpower. We think we’re not strong enough, not cut out for achieving success.
I propose an alternative:
Most of the time, it’s not about a lack of willpower.
It’s about the method (or lack thereof) that we take in trying to make changes.
What we cover in this episode:
- The science behind the habit loop, and how you can start to manipulate it in your favour.
- How willpower really works, and how you can start to build yours to increase your capacity to make positive changes.
- The various approaches you can take in forming a new habit (or changing an old one) that help to preserve your willpower (and which ones don’t work so well).
Related Links & Resources
- The Tiny Guide to Creating The Flossing Habits.
- The Hybrid: A New Method for Creating Changes that Last.
- The 50 Golden Rules For Forming Healthy Habits.
- What You Need to Know About Willpower
- Why 92% of New Year’s Resolutions Fail (And How to Make Sure Yours Don’t)
Related Products & Deals
The Online Course – Healthy Habits 101: Change Your Habits, Change Your Life
Listen & Subscribe
Support The HERO Podcast
Enjoy The HERO Roundup
A weekly dose of resources, ideas, and tools all aimed at helping you unlock your potential, and unleash your inner HERO. Plus you get bonus access to the HERO Toolkit – a collection of eBooks, diet plans, workouts and more.