018 | 3 Powerful Life Lessons From Stoicism
“As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters.”
― Seneca ―
Stoicism: a tool for self-mastery
This week on The HERO Podcast we’re gonna be touching on the idea of Stoicism. More specifically, a few key lessons we can learn from the Stoics and apply to our everyday lives.
For those of you who perhaps aren’t quite sure what Stoicism is (which was me, not too long ago), it’s a school of philosophy that was founded in Athens by a cool dude called Zeno in the early 3rd century BC.
Some of the most famous practitioners were people like Epictetus, Seneca and Marcus Aurelius, and more recently people like Tim Ferriss and Ryan Holiday – who is the author of the Daily Stoic, the book that’s kinda sparked my interest in Stoicism (linked to below). It contains daily meditations on thought provoking Stoic principles and how you can apply them to your life.
When you hear the word Stoic you might think of the more modern interpretation, which is to be somewhat emotionless or even a bit bland. But from what I’ve read it’s much much more than that. In his book Ryan describes it as:
“A tool in the pursuit of self-mastery, perseverance, and wisdom; something one uses to live a great life, rather than some esoteric field of academic inquiry”.
Which is pretty much what this podcast is all about.
Let’s get stuck in.
What we cover in this week’s episode of The HERO Podcast:
- How to control what you can control, let go of what you can’t, and learn to differentiate between the two.
- How preparing yourself for misfortune can give you the strength to face life’s challenges with a sense of calm.
- The dangers of labeling events as ‘good’ or ‘bad’ (with a nice little fable that illustrates exactly why).
Listen & Subscribe
- The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations on Wisdom, Perseverance and the Art of Living (AMAZON USA / UK) | Ryan Holiday & Stephen Hanselman
- Proactive vs Reactive Mindset: You Choose | Health Room
- What is Stoicism? | The Daily Stoic
- We’ll See – A Zen Story | Buddhist Inspiration
- Stoicism 101: A Practical Guide for Entrepreneurs | Tim Ferriss
Develop Lasting, Healthy Habits
Healthy Habits 101
Support The HERO Podcast
UNLEASH YOUR INNER HERO
Proven tools and tactics to help you eat, move and live better. Healthy eating plans, strength and mobility workouts, habit changing guides and much much more.