020 | The Movement Generalist vs Specialist (And How to Move Like Ido Portal)
“We are all HUMAN first, MOVERS second and only then SPECIALISTS.”
― Ido Portal ―
What does your movement practice look like?
This week on The HERO Podcast we’re talking all things movement. One of my favourite things. More specifically: the big difference between the generalist and specialist approach to moving.
The way human beings move has changed drastically over the course of the past ten thousand years.
Back in the day, our hunter-gatherer ancestors would spend a fair chunk of time moving over uneven terrain, climbing, jumping, hanging, swinging, grappling, throwing, swimming, crawling, squatting, lifting… There was plenty of variety and complexity.
Fast forward through the revolutions of agriculture, industry, and technology, our need for movement variety and complexity has reduced drastically.
To the point that many people spend their days sat in the same position, only moving their fingers to click buttons. Bigger bouts of movement are reserved for specific exercise periods – often set exercises for x number of reps, x number of times a week.
We’ve become specialists, losing so many of the movement capabilities we were designed to enjoy.
I think it’s time to reclaim them. And this week, we’re talking about how to do just that.
What we cover in this week’s episode of The HERO Podcast:
- The big differences between Ido Portal’s generalist approach to movement, and the typical specialist approach.
- Why specialization in one or two movement disciplines or activities so often means sacrifice.
- How to start adopting a more generalist approach to your movement practice, move like Ido and build a more well-rounded skillset, today.
Listen & Subscribe
- Get More Movement in Your Daily Routine | Thrive
- Ido Portal Floreio Project | Antranik
- Locomotion Patterns | GMB Fitness
- Locomotion Conditioning Routine Beginner | Ido Portal
- The HERO Foundation Workout | The HERO Toolkit
- The HERO Warmup Stretching & Mobility Routine | Health Room
Develop Lasting, Healthy Habits
Healthy Habits 101
Support The HERO Podcast
UNLEASH YOUR INNER HERO
Proven tools and tactics to help you eat, move and live better. Healthy eating plans, strength and mobility workouts, habit changing guides and much much more.